Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First impressions

I arrived in Bangalore at around midnight. The lovely coordinator, Jenny, picked me up from the airport after a slight cuffufle with the customs officer... It was eerily quiet on the streets at this time... (turns out that Bangalore has a 11.30pm drinking curfew which may have something to do with it!)

Arrived at "Penguin House", my home for the next couple of weeks. Greeted by verrry friendly (read terrifying) dogs, who I worked out afterwards weren't strays (or potentially Rabies infested), but dogs of the house. Killed a daddy long legs in the bathroom, realised there was no loo paper, but a toilet with a 'winged seat' and spray tap instead (the next day turned out there was a loo paper option and our bathroom had just momentarily run out!) and then went into my mosquito netted bed to try to catch some sleep.

In the next few hours of (somewhat broken sleep), I was treated to a suite of sounds that I had forgotten all about from last time I was here - the buzz of the mosquito (thankfully outside of my net), howling of dogs, the loud chirp of one very happy bird, the call to prayer at 5am and then constant a mix of tooting horns - the friendly passer-by toot,  the angry toot, the fanfare horn...the noise is never ending here!

Slightly disoriented, I awoke and met up with all of the lovely other Young Professionals and the Pollinate Team! So super exciting to be here!!! And this is just the very beginning - more on what else has been going on here soon! :)

L x
The 5 Young Professionals from AU/NZ (L to R): Me, Rosie, Johannes, Belinda and Holly

The "Hive" - Pollinate's office and where we're living for the next couple of weeks
The puppies of the house (at first mistaken for stray dogs!)


No comments:

Post a Comment